How do you make an egg salad sandwich without the egg? In this recipe, tofu makes the perfect substitute, along with classic egg salad sandwich staples like mustard, celery and onions.
Makes 4 to 6 sandwiches.
- 1 (450 g/16 oz) pkg medium firm tofu
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp sweetener of your choice (agave, brown rice syrup, organic sugar, etc.)
- 1 stalk/rib of celery, finely diced
- 2 spring onions or 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp finely diced English cucumber
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Open and drain tofu in a strainer to remove excess water while making dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sweetener to make dressing. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash tofu with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender.
- Combine dressing with diced celery, onions and cucumber – mix well. Mix veggie mixture into mashed tofu to coat evenly. Add parsley if using. If time allows, refrigerate for an hour or more before serving to allow flavors to mix. (This keeps well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It will separate a bit – you can either drain off the water that results, or mix it back in before making a sandwich with it.)
- Serve in whole wheat pita or other whole grain bread with lettuce and/or other toppings of choice.