Serves 4 | <30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2-3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1 small red or green chili pepper (optional)
- 2 (15 oz/425 ml) cans black beans
- 3 cups water (or add soup broth or soup stock cube)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Sauté onion in olive oil in the bottom of a pot. Add a splash of water if too dry. When onion becomes translucent, add cumin, garlic, if using, and cook for one minute. Add chili pepper to taste.
- Add black beans and water (or broth) and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 15 minutes. For a smooth soup, use a hand blender to blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Serve with a garnish of cilantro.