This recipe always turns out rich, spicy and satisfying. Using curry paste (sold by the jar) makes it fast and simple to prepare.
Serves 4 | <40 minutes
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 3-4 cups water
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 tbsp Indian curry paste*
- Salt to taste
- Sift through the lentils, remove any tiny rocks and then rinse.
- In a large pot, sauté onion with oil and curry paste until softened.
- Add rinsed lentils, water and optional tomato and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then simmer covered at a low boil for 20 minutes until the lentils become creamy. Add salt to taste.
- Serve as a soup or over rice.
*Note: if you can’t find curry paste for sale, check out our Curry Paste recipe.