This quick and healthy 30 minute bowl features steamed greens – like kale, broccoli and bok choy – topped with a tahini sauce. Tahini is a mild-tasting white sauce made from toasted, ground sunflower seeds.
Serves 4 | 30 minutes
Ingredients for the bowl:
- Brown rice with steamed greens and tahini sauce.
- 2 cup greens (kale, broccoli, bok choy, or spinach)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup water
- 6 tbsp tahini
- 3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (1 1/2 lemons)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Lightly steam greens, being careful not to overcook.
- Next, lightly toast sunflower seeds in toaster oven or in a dry skillet You’ll only need a couple of tablespoons per serving – keep any extra in a jar for future use.
- Make the tahini sauce by stirring all ingredients in a jar, or blend in a blender until smooth. Add extra water for a thinner sauce. Store any extra sauce in the fridge for future use.
- Assembly: Add half a cup of rice to each bowl. Add tahini sauce, top with steamed greens and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. This dish can be served warm or cold.