(Serves 4 – 30+ minutes)
Stir-fries are classic veggie dishes that can be simple or daring – it all depends on you!
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup mushrooms, such as fresh shitake, sliced
1 head of broccoli, coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts
1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in two tablespoons cold water (optional)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté onions and carrots with oil in a wok or large pot until tender.
2. Add mushrooms, broccoli and nuts.
3. Add I cup of water and simmer until veggies are soft.
4. Add cornstarch dissolved in cold water (to thicken the sauce)
5. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
Serve with brown rice (40 min.) or whole-grain noodles (10 min.).
Be creative! Experiment with different combinations of fresh veggies, tofu, seeds or nuts. For more flavour, try adding ginger, garlic, or hot peppers.
Photo: Mike Crooker ([email protected])