LA Weeky recently ran their version of famous people who no longer eat meat. Many on the list are not who you would think.
10. Bill Clinton (Age 65) – “…after suffering a couple of health scares, including stent surgery on his heart last year, the popular politician changed the way he eats. Most notably, Clinton went vegan and lost more than 20 pounds.”
9. Ellen Degeneres (Age 53) – “I do it because I love animals and I saw the reality, and I just couldn’t ignore it anymore.”
8. Alanis Morissette (Age 37) – “…she decided to change her lifestyle and diet after reading Eat To Live. She lost 20 pounds on the vegan diet and said she has “no more aches and pains.”
Photo : Alanis in LA with her month-and-a-half-old son named Ever who was born on Christmas Day.
7. Steve-O (Age 37) – The Jaskass star writes: “Only after becoming vegan did I regularly hear that my skin looked great, and that I was looking younger, slimmer, and healthier… I have since come to learn that it is an animal-based diet that is responsible for the overwhelming majority of cases of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, multiple sclerosis, and all kinds of other problems.”
6. Ozzy Osbourne (Age 62) – His bat-eating days are over, ever since he watched the documentary Forks Over Knives. Ozzy says the vegan diet helps him stay fit while he’s on tour and keeps him from going “on binges.”
4. Alicia Silverstone (Age 35) – The former Clueless actress has a popular cookbook and blog called The Kind Life.5. Joaquin Phoenix (Age 37) – Vegan since age 3. He still vividly recalls the incident: “My family and I were on a boat, catching fish. As one fish was caught, he was writhing, then he was thrown against the side of the boat. You couldn’t disguise what it was. This was what we did to animals to eat them. The animal went from a living, vibrant creature fighting for life to a violent death.”
3. Russell Simmons (Age 54) – This hip-hop mogul writes, “The more I opened myself up to the idea of the full scope of exactly what non-violence translates to, the less interested I became in consuming the energy associated with the flesh of an animal that only knew suffering in his/her life and pain and terror in its death.”
2. Mike Tyson (Age 35) – The former boxer went vegan in 2009 and said it made him feel better than ever. “I have more stamina and it helps keep me in a positive state of mind … I can’t imagine going back to meat. I feel incredible.” Recently he did an ad for Last Chance for Animalswith the tag line: “Love Animals Don’t Eat Them.”
1.Thom Yorke (Age 43) – The Radiohead frontman lists the song “Meat Is Murder” by The Smiths as one of the reasons he chose to go vegan.