Welcome to Day 5 of the Veggie Challenge! Learn about carbohydrates and try your favourite comfort foods:
- Colleen’s Raw Muesli
- Lentil and Spinach Salad with Balsamic-orange Dressing
- Black Bean Tacos
- Nuts and Raisins
You can see more recipes by visiting our What to Eat page for more breakfast, lunch, salad and dinner ideas.
Daily Cooking and Nutrition Tips
Carbohydrates as fuel
- Your body absolutely, positively must have carbohydrates as fuel – otherwise your body won’t operate as optimally as it should
- Depriving your body of the carbohydrates it needs is not a healthy way to go – nor is it a good long-term weight loss solution. Carbohydrates have less than half the calories of fat. Do your body a huge favour and eat up those carbs – the good, complex carbohydrates that is
Day 5 Recipes:
Colleen’s Raw Muesli
Muesli is a breakfast cereal based on rolled oats, grains, fruit, nuts and seeds. Who needs store bought cereal when you can easily make your own!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of raw mixed nuts
- Non-dairy milk such as soy, almond or cashew
- Fresh fruit topping such as banana (optional)
- Combine rolled oats, raisins or currants, and a mix of raw nuts and seeds.
- Enjoy with non-dairy milk and fresh fruit!
For more breakfast ideas, visit our recipes page.
Lentil & Spinach Salad with balsamic-orange dressing
Try this tasty salad served with whole wheat bread. Serves 4.
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, washed
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 1 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup lentils (use brown or green lentils – canned or cooked)
Ingredients for dressing:
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare lentils by opening can, rinsing and draining, or if using dry lentils, cook for 20 minutes and rinse under cold water to cool them.
- Whisk all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Black Bean Tacos
Serves 4 | <40 minutes
- 16 corn tacos or tortillas
- ¼–½ cup water
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 (30 g/1 oz) Mexican seasoning package (Frontier Organics, El Paso)
- 1 (19 oz/540 ml) cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 tbsp salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Diced red onion
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 red peppers, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ cup, shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- Heat water in a medium saucepan. When it’s boiling, add half the diced onions and taco seasoning and stir to combine evenly. Add beans, salsa, lime juice and stir. Let cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. If you have a hand immersion blender, puree the beans, or mash with a potato masher.
- Prepare any or all of the toppings.
- Spread a thick layer of the mashed beans on the toasted corn tortillas or in the tacos and serve with toppings and guacamole.
Nuts and Raisins
Nuts are a great source of protein and a filling snack. Combine with raisins or golden raisins for added sweetness!
Preparing for Day 6 of the Veggie Challenge
Visit our day 6 recipes page to see your next meal plan!