Welcome to Day 2 of the Veggie Challenge! On this page you’ll find the second batch of tips and recipes just for you!
And remember, you can see more recipes by visiting our What to Eat page for more breakfast, lunch, salad and dinner ideas.
Daily Cooking and Nutrition Tips
White flour versus whole grain: what’s the difference?
- In the process of making white flour, practically all of the vitamins and minerals are stripped from the wheat kernel
- Instead of white flour, try whole grain pastas and the brown rice (available at most grocery stores!). Feeling adventurous? Try kasha, quinoa, millet or bulgur
What is fibre good for?
- According to Brenda Davis, RD, fibre protects us against heart disease, cancer, gastrointestinal diseases, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and obesity. It also helps you feel and stay full.
Day 2 Recipes:
John’s Homemade Granola
Start the day with this super fresh, low-cost cereal.
Makes about 12 cups.
- 4 cups peanuts
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 2 cups wheat germ
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Grind up the nuts and seeds in a food processor (Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor – simply leave the nuts whole).
- Combine everything, place on a oven tray and bake for one hour at 350°F, mixing it up every 20 minutes.
For more breakfast ideas, visit our recipes page.
Garden Veggie Hummus Wrap
Hummus wrap with lettuce or kale, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. There are many brands of whole-grain wraps available or you can use a collard leaf.
For more lunch ideas, visit our recipes page.
Green Goddess Rice Bowl
This quick and healthy 30 minute bowl features steamed greens – like kale, broccoli and bok choy – topped with a tahini sauce. Tahini is a mild-tasting white sauce made from toasted, ground sunflower seeds.
Serves 4 | 30 minutes
Ingredients for the bowl:
- Brown rice with steamed greens and tahini sauce.
- 2 cup greens (kale, broccoli, bok choy, or spinach)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup water
- 6 tbsp tahini
- 3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (1 1/2 lemons)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Lightly steam greens, being careful not to overcook.
- Next, lightly toast sunflower seeds in toaster oven or in a dry skillet You’ll only need a couple of tablespoons per serving – keep any extra in a jar for future use.
- Make the tahini sauce by stirring all ingredients in a jar, or blend in a blender until smooth. Add extra water for a thinner sauce. Store any extra sauce in the fridge for future use.
- Assembly: Add half a cup of rice to each bowl. Add tahini sauce, top with steamed greens and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. This dish can be served warm or cold.
Snack: Trail Mix
Try trail mix by combining a variety of nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc.), dried fruits (raisins, dried strawberries, etc,) and dark chocolate! Nuts are a great source of protein and a filling snack.
Preparing for Day 3 of the Veggie Challenge
Visit our Day 3 recipes page to see your next meal plan!