Tofu and tempeh are both made from soybeans, but are made in different ways and as a result have their own distinct taste and texture. Tofu is made from pressed soybean curds, while tempeh is made from fermented soybeans. Both are great sources of protein! Tofu can be found at local grocery stores, and tempeh can be found at specialty stores.
- 1 pkg tempeh or extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional)
- Whole grain bread or wraps
- Additional sandwich fillings of choice such as lettuce, tomato, baby spinach, shredded napa cabbage, or cucumber
- Cut tofu or tempeh into ¼ inch thick slices. Place in a shallow covered dish.
- Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over the slices. Let marinate at least an hour, or overnight.
- Use the slices as sandwich filling straight from the marinade, or cook them. (Note: it is best to cook tempeh unless it is very fresh). If cooking, heat one tablespoon of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place tofu or tempeh slices in the pan until browned (about 4 to 5 minutes). Flip over and brown other side if you have time.
- Serve in whole grain bread or wraps with other fillings of choice.