This veggie version of Sloppy Joes uses textured vegetable protein (TVP). TVP is a meat substitute made of soy, and is packed with protein. It can be found at bulk food stores.
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups thick tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- In a large bowl, pour water over TVP and set aside for 10 minutes.
- While TVP is soaking, make the tomato sauce mix. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add onions and celery. When onions and celery have softened, add tomato sauce and herbs. Turn down heat to low.
- Drain TVP through a colander and press with back of wooden spoon to remove excess water. Add TVP to tomato sauce mixture and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Mix well to combine and serve over whole wheat buns.
- Enjoy with toasted whole wheat buns or crusty bread.
Tip: You can use pre-seasoned veggie meats such as Yves Ground Round Italian or Mexican flavour instead of TVP.