Serves 4 | <40 minutes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, such as fresh shiitake, sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in two Tbsp cold water (optional)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown rice
- Sauté onions and carrots with oil in a wok or large pot until onion is tender.
- Add mushrooms, broccoli and nuts and stir for one or two minutes.
- Add the water, cover with a lid, and simmer for a few minutes until broccoli is bright green.
- Add soy sauce, salt and pepper, and cornstarch dissolved in cold water to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with brown rice (40 minutes to cook), quinoa (17 min to cook) or whole-grain noodles (10 min to cook).
Variations: Be creative! Experiment with different combinations of fresh veggies, tofu, tempeh, nuts or seeds. For more flavour, try adding ginger, garlic, or hot pepper.