Jenny, a former member of the Veggie Challenge team, loves to add chickpeas to many of her dishes. Here’s one of her favourites.
Serves 4 | <40 minutes, +20 waiting
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 soup stock cube
- 1 (19 oz/540ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano, or basil
- 1 cup asparagus or green beans, chopped
- Fresh Italian parsley as garnish
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, sauté onion and mushrooms in oil. When the onion becomes golden, add the rice and stir for two minutes.
- Add water, stock cube, chickpeas and seasonings to taste. Stir well, then cover and simmer until the rice is cooked (about 40 minutes).
- Near the end, stir in asparagus or green beans. Uncover to reduce the liquid, if necessary. Mix should be saucy. Garnish with parsley.