Never made vegan muffins before? No problem – this basic recipe is designed for beginners! It substitutes flax seeds for eggs and soy milk for dairy milk, and uses maple syrup for sweetness.
Makes 1 dozen
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2-3 tbsp raw sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax, corn starch, or arrowroot powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ¼ cup soy milk or water (reduce liquid if you are using juicy fruits or maple syrup)
- ¼ cup oil
- Chopped fruit or nuts (cranberries, raisins, apples, peaches, pecans, etc.)
- Prepare muffin pans by lightly oiling them or inserting paper muffin liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine soy milk (or water) and oil in a separate bowl.
- Prepare chopped fruit.
- Heat up oven to 375°F.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Don’t over mix. The batter should be a thick but pourable consistency. Test to see if it slowly drops off a spoon. Add more flour or water if necessary.
- Fold in any fruit or nuts you are using.
- Fill muffin pans with batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Tip: Add cinnamon for extra flavour!