Top 10 reasons to go vegetarian
1. Lower disease risk Such as heart disease, many types of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, food poisoning, obesity… Vegetarians pass up flesh foods that are high in cholesterol and saturated fat, and lacking in dietary fibre. Plant foods on the other hand contain antioxidants and a variety of phytochemicals that protect against disease.
2. Live longer A major study published in the British Medical Journal found that vegetarians outlive meat eaters by six years. The study tracked 11,125 people over 12 years and adjusted for smoking and socio-economic status.
3. Compassion You won’t be supporting an industry that raises animals in cramped, overcrowded spaces, artificially breeds them, separates them from their young, denies them sunlight and fresh air – and then trucks them to slaughter.
4. Save wilderness Meat production requires huge amounts of land, energy and water – which leads to habitat loss, soil erosion, water depletion, and pollution from pesticides and animal waste.
5. For an ocean of love The oceans are being overfished, coral reefs are being destroyed and sensitive seafloors are getting raked with drag nets. Many species are threatened, including dolphins, seabirds and turtles that get snagged in the nets. Fish feel pain, they just lack vocal chords to express it.
6. Expand your taste horizons Vegetarian meals can be diverse, fast, colourful and delicious!
7. Sex Research has shown that the heart and brain are not the only organs that get clogged arteries due to a diet high in meat and cholesterol.
8. No more dirty dishes caked with animal grease.
9. Great excuse to… avoid everything from Aunt Flo’s hamburger casserole to the latest greasy offer from the fast food chains.
10. Win cool prizes. Enter the Veggie Challenge!
Vegetarians have the best diet … they have a fraction of our heart attack rate and they have only 40 percent of our cancer rate. On average, they outlive other people by about six years now.
– William Castelli,
MD Framingham Heart Study
Check out our video page for the best veggie offering from YouTube. Here are two:
Christina shares the reasons she eats vegan. 6:50 minutes.
A short 3 1/2 minute video that highlights many of the reasons to choose a compassionate, plant-based diet. Warning: some graphic footage.
For more information:
• Vegetarian Foods: Powerful for Health (PCRM)
• Key Nutrients – Info on protein, iron, calcium, b12, etc.
• What every Canadian should know – The plight of Canada’s farm animals
• Meat production’s environmental toll
• Fish – vegetarian are healthy despite not eating fish. VSUK
• The Case Against Eating Fish – North American Vegetarian Society
• Impotence – what causes it? Includes FAQ’s.